Challis, ID asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for Arizona

Q: My father is 90 years old. He established a last will & testament in 2007 and would now like to make some changes.

That is 10 years ago. He was told by his lawyer that he would need to have a letter from his doctor stating that he is of sound mind. I understand the reasoning, so that no one takes advantage of him, however, he is insulted that his lawyer would require him to have a doctor determine if he is "crazy" or not. I was told that because of his age that is a requirement to make any changes. Is that correct?

Thank you for your quick response.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Inna Fershteyn
Inna Fershteyn
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Only if the lawyer thinks your father is or of his mind. I have elderly clients who are sharper than young ones. Get a new lawyer


Inna Fershteyn

Law Office of Inna Fershteyn and Associates, P.C.

1517 Voorhies Ave, Suite 400

Brooklyn, NY 11235

tel: 718-333-2394

fax: 718-701-8859

6 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.