Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for California

Q: I am in Germany. How do I get my divorce papers from the California Northern District Court in San Jose?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan G. Cohen
Susan G. Cohen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You will need to write to the Family Law Clerk, Santa Clara County Superior Court in San Jose, California. You should be able to look up the Website of the Santa Clara County Superior Court on the Internet, and find both the Address for the Family Law Clerk's Office and the telephone number. Even though International Telephone Calls are expensive, you may want to telephone the Family Law Clerk to get information about how much they will charge. You may need to look up the Case Number at the Santa Clara County Superior Court Website. In a divorce case, there is information available about your case online. You will probably need a Certified Copy of the Judgement for Dissolution of Marriage, and you want to be sure to get copies of any orders relating to Child Support or Spousal Support, and any court orders modifying Child Custody and Visitation, or Child Support or Spousal Support. You may find it easier to hire a local lawyer who can help you by contacting the court directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.