Oakland, CA asked in Family Law and Criminal Law for California

Q: Run Away

Hey so my brother who is 17 ran away and the man who he left with is over 18 and won't tell us where he took him. Can I press charges against him for kidnapping since my brother is under 18? Please let me know we just want him home and they guy won't tell us what happened to him.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Susan G. Cohen
Susan G. Cohen pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you believe that this person has taken your brother without permission from the parent or guardian, the parent or guardian who is the legal custodian of your brother should contact your local police department about filing a missing persons report and for assistance in locating the man who now has your brother with him. You should act quickly, because your brother may not be safe while he is with the older man who has taken him away. If your brother is under eighteen, in most circumstances he does not get to decide who is legal custodian or legal guardian should be. Act promptly. Best wishes to you and for your brother's safety.

Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in California

A: You can report this to the police. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AEesq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.