Cleveland, OH asked in Legal Malpractice, Medical Malpractice and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: Vet malpractice small claims court advice.

I took my dog to the vet. The vet did an Xray and said there is a foreign object that needed to be removed. The vet did the surgery and found that it was a dog treat which i told him i had given him before i left home and also asked if we could induce vomiting for the object. They still want me to pay the surgery cost in order to release the dog. If i pay to get my dog back do i have a good case for small claims court to get my money back?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The case would be decided on the evidence and testimony that you present in court. The vet would present evidence of giving reasonable care under the circumstances. The court would then decide if you met the burden of proof with a "good case." Small claims court can decide cases claiming up to $6000. Check the court web site for the filing fee.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.