Austin, TX asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Texas

Q: If I have a family manager that lives in Mexico but is a U.S citizen but lost her original birth certificate

Does not have birth certificate but has a copy of it, but she does have most of the other U.S document, would he or she be able to come into the U.S

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Antonio Lozada
Juan Antonio Lozada
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Texas

A: When crossing the border back and forth between the US and Mexico, she’ll need to have a valid passport or other acceptable identification handy. When entering the United States, U.S. citizens are required to show passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST) or an Enhanced Driver's License. Knowing which ID to bring depends upon your method of travel (air, land, or sea). Voter's registration card, military ID, driver's license and social security cards are not considered valid forms of citizenship identification.

If she has ever hold a US passport, she could go to the nearest US consulate and try to get a replacement, she can probably get an emergency passport pretty quickly see requirements here:

She will probably need to make an appointment by going to

If she has never applied to a US passport, she may still be able to apply for one there but the process may be a bit longer and she will probably need her birth certificate, a family member may need to go to the county where her birth was registered and get a copy of her birth certificate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.