Asked in Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: My boyfriend is currently paying back child support as ordered and complying with the full monthly amount.

He no longer owes future child support since his child was adopted by the stepfather. If he opens a checking acct. to pay his bills easily, will DCSS freeze his account to take out more money than the ordered monthly amount or does that only apply if he's not paying the full amount every month? This is in Riverside, CA. Thanks!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew George Marcellino
Andrew George Marcellino
  • San Jose, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: So long as your boyfriend is paying child support arrears according to a current existing order, DCSS should not intercept money from his bank account. This is not to say that such a thing never happens, though. It would be best for him to speak with DCSS or have an attorney speak with DCSS to make sure THEY BELIEVE his account is in good standing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.