Washington, DC asked in Criminal Law and Wrongful Death for Virginia

Q: My birthfather was murdered almost a year ago by his fiance, who then killed herself before justice could be served.

Details about the case won't be released to me, because it has to do with the murderer and not the victim. Can I take this to court and have all evidence and case info released to me? Also would I be able to sue the state for wrongful death?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Beau  Correll
Beau Correll
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I'm very sorry for your loss. You need to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer, if you are seeking to find alternative theories of liability.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.