Chatham, NY asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for New York

Q: Someone who put a phone on my account refused to pay her part of the bill and has left me with an over $400 bill!

She sent me texts complaining about not having money and needing a phone so I offered to help and she said she would pay her half of the bill then went to Verizon and bought a new phone with me there. Then lost her phone and went and bought another brand new iPhone and raised the bill to well over $400 dollars and only paid one month on it then refused to return my calls and texts about the bill and blocked me on all social media.

3 Lawyer Answers

William Head

  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA

A: Treat this as a valuable life lesson. Cut off that phone, asap.

Then, if you have the time, sue her in small claims court.

Michael David Siegel

  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: While you have a claim against her in small claims, as to Verizon you have to pay the bill.

Barry Eran Janay

  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Sue in small claims court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.