Brooklyn, NY asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Pennsylvania

Q: i need help on how to deal with this situation i have no court case but i have traffic citations what can or should i do

hey I was involved in an accident in Lancaster county whereas it was a single vehicle accident where my friend died as a passenger an,d i was the driver. in result i received a traffic citation for CARELESS DRIVING, DRIVING VEHICLE AT SAFE SPEED & DRIVING ON ROADWAYS LANED FOR TRAFFIC. i wanted to just pay for these citations but can result in 90 days jail and points. but i want to know if i plea guilty will i be taken to court? will i get sued? because i do not believe the accident was not my fault and i cannot afford a lawyer. i also received another citation for Acci Dam To Unattended Veh Or Property which i did not do but in cases like this i have no proof i need help finding a lawyer who will listen to my story and help me out

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: First, unless you want to kiss your license goodbye, you need to plead not guilty--which also gives you extra time to think; plan on paying for a legal consultation. Most lawyers will work out payment plans. Second, get a hold of the police report. Costs $15, but the lawyer will need to see that. You have insurance I assume. That will run interference if you do get sued, but won't help with the tickets. Bascially any time there's a single vehicle crash the presumption is you were driving to fast for conditions, you went off the road therefore did not drive within the lanes, and you were careless because if you had been careful you wouldn't have had the crash. You would have driven at 4 m.p.h., pulled to the side of the road but it wouldn't have happened if you'd been truly careful, goes their argument. You have a different story but you are not the person to tell it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.