Buffalo, NY asked in Civil Litigation for New York

Q: If I win a money judgment, how quickly can I expect to be paid? What if the other party appeals?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Montclair, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: It's on you to enforce the judgment, you can do this by issuing information subpoenas w/ restraining notices to banks.

  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: That totally depends. First off, a money judgment is only a piece of paper. You o that totally depends. First off, a judgement is nothing but paper ( this is called a transcript of judgment and you are lawyer needs to pick it up from the court where made). Next step. You or a lawyer representing you must go to the county clerks office and file the transcript of judgment along with one of two documents. Each of which is a separate way to get your money. An income execution garnishes wages, but if defendant does not have a job, you should file a property execution. A property execution allows you to sell as much of the defendants property as needed to get your money. Once filed The clerk if you a stamp copy in the transcript of judgment to bring to the Marshall or private The quote you a stamped copy in the transcript of judgment to bring to the marshal and he will go on enforce the same. In New York defendants have 20 days to pay unless a stipulation extending the time to pay is filed and excepted by you ( it is generally a matter of courtesy to give 45 days via stipulation)

Private law firms, including ours, I can do this entire process for you for a certain percentage of the judgement or a flat fee (client's choice).

Phones are allowed to charge between 0% and 33% of the total amount of judgment to do this… Or firm charges 10% of the judgment or a flat fee of $750, whichever is less because we appreciate our clients.

If you would like to have a free consultation with me over the phone feel free… My information is below.

Law office of Aubrey Galloway Esq III PC

2 Overhill rd - suite 400

Scarsdale NY, 10583.


Hope that helps

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.