Brooklyn, NY asked in Real Estate Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for New York

Q: What are my options

I lived with a family when i came to this country at 16. They were emotionally abusive and constantly made me feel like I owed them and was ungrateful. I purchased a 2 family house on my own 8 years later. They moved in and basically took it over. They pressured me to add the husband's name to the title 3 years after purcahse. They never paid a dollar. They used the house for their piggy bank and all the loans taken out were in my name. Its now 20 years later. They had agreed to move out in 2015 (in writing) but the wife got ill and I gave them a 2 year extension (not in writing) as the husband was going to retire and move to Jamaica. Now the husband has decide he will not move. He has also threatned to try to put his new wife's name in the house. By the way they have been delinquent on bills for the entire 20 years. Right now they owe me about $20k in unpaid bills. Spend almost 5 years in therapy and developed IBS as a result of the stress. What type of recourse do i have. I need t

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The statute of limitations will deal with most of your claims. If there are bills from the last six years you can sue. You can sue to have the house sold and proceeds divided. Nothing you can do about deed issue from 20 years ago.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.