Chicago, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: My wife i withholding divorce infomation i need to recieve my full petion we were not together when she divorced me

I married my wife in my late twenties. we split 10 years later and moved to different states She later remarried So i assumed she divorced me but i never signed and papers. Im now trying to get my full pention and they required my divorce papers. I have no clue in what state or county she divorced me in and she wont tell me. can i take her to court for this information I know she is remarried i have the records from the state she is now living in.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Contact the clerk of court wherever she lived.

  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You ask if you can take her to court to get the info you need. I say sue her for divorce in your state, and serve her with summons in her state. If she is divorced, she will plead it in your divorce case. You might be opening a can of worms because she may never have gotten the divorce. Why else would she refuse to tell you where the divorce took place?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.