Asked in Adoption and Child Custody for North Dakota

Q: What is the first step in going for full custody. The father is absent for 5+ yrs. And is jailed for 3rd OWI in WI.

My son is 7 years old and was born in WI. I moved to ND to be with family, with consent from child's father. He has had zero contact with his son in 5 years and is in and out of jail. I want to go for full custody now. I am engaged to be married to my boyfriend, also the father to my twin sons. He would like to adopt my 7 year old son once we are married. We would like to know the steps we need to take in filling and if we should get a lawyer considering the paternal father's currently incarcerated and facing prison time, with no desire to be in his sons life.

Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Yes, you should absolutely get a lawyer in this situation. Too many mistakes can be made that could forever impact your relationship with your sons.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.