Ontario, CA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for California

Q: Can verbal abuse be considered a crime? Can traumatizing a 9 year old be a crime? What can i do about this situation?

Can it be considered a crime for example like verbal assault or verbal harassment, when someone keeps insulting you?

So every time I go pick up my child from elementary school this lady starts insulting me. I haven't done anything to her I don't even know who she is she yells at me and calls me bad words for example the b word. The problem here is she has been doing this in front of my 9 year old daughter. My daughter is terrified of her because it has gotten to the point where the lady has actually came to my house and yelled at me in front of my other daughters she threatened me to beat me. My little daughter is terrified every rime she sees the lady she holds my hand tightly and tells me she wants to leave. I already called the cops and they have warned her, but she doesn't care. She has continued to insult me even when im driving minding my own business. I was driving home from picking up my daughter and this same lady stopped beside me and flipped me off and starting yelling at

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should take her to court and get civil harassment restraining orders against the woman. You do not need a lawyer to do this. You can get the civil harassment forms from the California courts website. http://www.courts.ca.gov/forms.htm Where it says “select a category“ select civil harassment prevention, then scroll down to the appropriate form and fill it out and print it. Be sure to read all the instructions completely and follow them to the letter. Start with form CH100-INFO and print it out and study it, then fill out form CH-100 and follow the instructions on how to file it and get a hearing date. Everything you need to know is right there on the court’s website.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.