West Palm Beach, FL asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Rhode Island

Q: I just got a call from my stepmother in R.I who married my father a few days before he died asking me to sign papers ...

She stated the papers would be emailed to me since I live in Florida and can not be at the closing and i would be signing over my rights to the house so she could sell it...She had stated shortly after his death there was no will and nothing was left to me so why would i need to do this? She has put the house on the market, sold his coin collection, and other items in the house that she did not want as well. My father had asked for my social and daughters social to give to a lawyer a few years before his death for a will but i have no idea what to do!

1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: If your father died without a will, his wife and his children would divide his property among them according to the state's laws of succession. In my state, for example, the wife would take half and his children would split the other half. Thus, in order to sell the property, the wife would have to have the consent of the children. Be careful that what you signed isn't some sort of waiver or assignment of your interests in the property, but merely a consent to sell it and to receive your portion of the proceeds. You should consult an experienced probate lawyer in your state to review what you're being asked to sign and what exactly are the respective interests of the wife and children in all of your father's property -- both real and personal. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Good luck.

PS: My comments here are for general information only and are not legal advice about your particular situation nor do they create an attorney-client relationship between us. Consult a lawyer in your state for legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.