Cullman, AL asked in Landlord - Tenant, Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: Can i have my sons broken car towed to his new residence without breaking the law?

My son moved in with us for awhile and then started creating problems and we told him he had to move, he got an apartment but left his broken car at our house. I have texted him several times to come get it and he refuses and says if i sell it or have it towed he will report it stolen and i would go to jail. It s been 44 days or longer and he will not get it. He has moved to an apartment complex . I don't know the exact apartment but do know the building he is in and know where he parks his other car over there. I had to follow him home from work to find that out cause he wouldn't tell me. Can i pay a tow truck to tow his car and have them park it next to his building he is staying at and let him deal with it ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Barbara H. Agricola
Barbara H. Agricola
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Opelika, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: you can certainly have it towed since it is currently on your property. where you have it towed is up to you. it would be wise to keep a record of you informing your son what you are doing via text, email, or recording so that if he chooses to report it stolen, there would be no potential repercussions for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.