Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Constitutional Law for Alabama on
Q: I was recently refused a hotel reservation at a hotel that I’ve stayed at recently.

I booked & paid online for a stay at a hotel that I’ve recently stayed at, but whenever I arrived, the front desk receptionist informed me that he canceled my reservation due to my previous stay. I asked him what the issue was, & he stated verbatim “You brought a massage table into... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 11, 2023

It sounds like you find yourself in a difficult situation where a hotel has refused service based on an assumption relating to your possession of a massage table. First, it is essential to review the hotel's policy, which you agreed to at the time of booking; it might stipulate the conditions... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Alabama on
Q: I have return of premium policy that ends in 2 years, I missed 2 payments and they won't reinstate any advice thanks

A reinstatement form was sent

we missed the payments due to our bank account being compromised, I guess being a loyal customer with only one claim in 20 plus years probably

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Aug 21, 2023

In Alabama, if you've missed two payments on your return of premium policy, it's important to take proactive steps. Complete and submit the provided reinstatement form promptly, expressing your intent to reinstate the policy. Reach out to the insurance company's customer service,... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Alabama on
Q: We won a civil suit but now how do we collect? What area of law covers collecting after winning in court? 37,000.00

Def now has fed charges waiting for court date

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Aug 11, 2023

After winning a civil suit, the process of collecting the awarded amount is called "judgment enforcement" or "debt collection." This involves taking legal steps to collect the money owed to you by the losing party. The specific procedures and laws regarding judgment enforcement... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Family Law, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: What are my rights with DHR?

In August, I fled an abusive relationship, from NC, with the father of my children. I returned to my hometown. Having no other options at the time, my children and I ended up in a tent for around two weeks. The children slept on mattresses inside the tent, fully clothed, and covered with blankets.... View More

Hayden Glass Sizemore
Hayden Glass Sizemore
answered on Dec 30, 2022

You should hire an attorney. You are not required to submit to DHR requested drug screens. However, if you refuse, DHR will often use that to justify removing the children. If so, you will have a 72-hour hearing and you should request an attorney be appointed to represent you at the 72-hour... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Municipal Law for Alabama on
Q: Does one have the right to choose who removes and takes household garbage to the dump in crenshaw county Al.these days?

What does the law specify about who may collect & take my garbage to the dump?

Allan Lamar Armstrong
Allan Lamar Armstrong
answered on Dec 28, 2022

The question depends on local ordinances. Google the Town of Valley, Alabama for information about arrests relating to garbage collection. It will likely be the subject of both civil and criminal matters. If you have a case, you should contact a lawyer for specific advice. I wish you the best.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Real Estate Law and Probate for Alabama on
Q: My grandmother passed away September 2021. Myself and another relative are both executors over her probate. Her house

was to be sold and split. I verbally agreed to buy the house and started living in the house before probate was closed. On April 8th, the house burned down due to hoverboard board exploding.

My question is can I sue hoverboard if the house wasn't in my name at the time of the fire or... View More

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 1, 2022

The cause of action for Product Liability, Negligence, etc. is arguably personal property of the Estate. But usually the devisees own the real property when the Will is Probated. To prevent an insurance defense lawyer from dismissing the suit for lack of standing, Both Co-Executors and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Alabama on
Q: I have a case, but it is not lucrative enough for an attorney to accept, what are my options to see it through?

I am highly educated and I am fully aware of my civil rights. I know that I have been treated differently due to my disability. Having endured multiple discriminatory and abusive encounters with the same company and same manager at that company, then fell victim to an attempt at intimidation by... View More

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Sep 5, 2023

You legally can represent yourself in legal proceedings.

It’s not a great idea, and the overwhelming majority of pro se litigants lose. Even most lawyers don’t represent themselves for very good reasons.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Alabama on
Q: Can a defendant a firearm in they made a plea deal with the prosecution to take anger management classes

And upon completion of the classes the case will be thrown out.

No it was a misdemeanor.

Allan Lamar Armstrong
Allan Lamar Armstrong
answered on Aug 27, 2023

Did you plead guilty to a felony?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Alabama on
Q: Can I sue Frito Lay for giving me more bags of a certain chip than advertised on the box because I barely had the others

I bought a 50 count box of chips from Walmart, in the box showed that there were more cheetos that advertised. I personally don’t like cheetos so the chips eventually expired. Since there were more cheetos, I’ve gotten less of the other chips.

Allan Lamar Armstrong
Allan Lamar Armstrong
answered on Mar 26, 2023

Of course, you can sue. You can sue almost anyone for anything in this country. You need to weight whether that's a wipse decision. The filing fee for a jury trial is around $550. What are your damages? At most, a few dollars? It doesn't seem like it's worth your time and effort. No... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law and Contracts for Alabama on
Q: Is there any legal recourse I can take?

I have a dispute going on with a dodge dealership here in Alabama where i purchased my 2020 dodge challenger. Prior to the dealership servicing the vehicle, other mechanics had driven and diagnosed the vehicle but just didn't have the software the car needed. I took my car to be serviced at... View More

Allan Lamar Armstrong
Allan Lamar Armstrong
answered on Feb 24, 2023

Is there any sort of warranty on the vehicle? Have you had an independent mechanic or other dealer dianose the problem? Can they testify that the work performed is the cause of the problem? These are preliminary questions that should be addressed prior to contacting an attorney for specific advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: Hello! This question is in regards to15 U.S. Code § 1681a - Definitions; rules of construction

As far as exclusions, it states your consumer report does not include a report containing information solely as to transactions or experiences between the consumer and the person making the report; does that mean that late payments on your credit report are illegal?

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Jan 12, 2023


1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Alabama on
Q: In Alabama If someone doesn’t pay after having a debt judgement against them can they be jailed for contempt of court

Ex husband of person who received letter passed away about 4 years ago. Judge in divorce case said he was to pay the debt. She got a letter saying she had ten days to pay or at end of ten days she has to surrender to law enforcement

Allan Lamar Armstrong
Allan Lamar Armstrong
answered on Jan 11, 2023

If it's a failure to pay court ordered child, then it's not the same as an ordinary money judgment. Contempt is possible based on noncompliance with a court order.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Alabama on
Q: Can i sue for false chargebacks

My company did renovations for a customer who paid with a credit card then after the work was completed and paid for a month later he submitted a chargeback

Allan Lamar Armstrong
Allan Lamar Armstrong
answered on Dec 9, 2022

Have you disputed the chargeback and submitted proof of the legitimacy of the agreement to pay? That would be your first step.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Alabama on
Q: What are the options when you're involved in an accident with a driver whose license is suspended and uninsured?

Also, what happens if the vehicle does not belong to that driver?

Hunter Garnett
Hunter Garnett
answered on Feb 26, 2022

You have several possible claims against three possible defendants. Realistically, your recovery is likely limited by the amount of insurance that is available. I'll break down each of your possible claims, but you probably only care about the practical advice so I'll start there.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Alabama on
Q: It has been raining in my apartment due to storm damage over a year. Where can I get help with a matter like this?

I (we) have reached out to many people about this. Other tenants have been to the mayor ,sheriff and health department as a group. No one will come. Not even a bad area. We are right beside an elementary school. The Health Department wont come just this week after a year of calling did I finally... View More

Travis T Juneau
Travis T Juneau
answered on Sep 16, 2021

If your apartment is uninhabitable and you have made the landlord aware and the landlord has failed to improve conditions and make the home habitable then you are allowed to break the lease and move. If you get sued by your former landlord for breaking the lease you will have a recognized defense.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Banking and Collections for Alabama on
Q: New question statute of limitations Alabama

7 years ago in Alabama I bought a car through the dealership and they sold the loan to AlabamaTelco Credit Union. AlabamaTelco is now Avadian Credit Union. I never stepped foot in the credit Union and was never a member. I lost my job and returned the car to Avadian. Now almost 6 years later... View More

Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
answered on Aug 9, 2021

General statute of limitations for debt collection actions on a contract is six (6) years. If it is a credit card or open line of credit then it is potentially three (3) years. It seems likely that your loan would be a six year statute. Now because your loan has been transferred between different... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Consumer Law for Alabama on
Q: Is there a class action suit against Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc. involving OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Shampo

I have used these and my hair has been coming out by the handfuls. It is so thin on top you can see my scalp.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Jul 7, 2021

Do no t know, however feel free to do a search on google as see as a starting point.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Foreclosure for Alabama on
Q: How can I stop forclosure if the bank has charged me over state limit on interest?

I borrowed 48,000 16 yrs ago the 1st 6 yrs was 11.25% after modification it was still 8.9 alabama max is 8. I still owe 41,000 and I've already pd approx 83,000 and they still want to forclose what are my options?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Dec 18, 2020

Plead the usury and fraud in the foreclosure action against you as affirmative defenses and file a counterclaim for overpayment.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Criminal Law for Alabama on
Q: Is this grounds for dismissal

Timestamp on video is different from what police says when crime was committed. Reports show Feb 2nd 2016 a control buy was made. Video shows it was 9/26/2009.

Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
answered on Oct 24, 2020

No. If they have the confidential informant there to testify to the actual date it happened and also the police officers, then it will not matter what the time stamp on the video says.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Alabama on
Q: What is the Code of Alabama definition of "Individual"?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 18, 2020

Only an Alabama attorney is qualified to answer your question, as it involves state law. But it remains open for four weeks. As a GENERAL matter when it comes to basic and elemental terms in statutes, their meanings often tend to be straightforward. If a matter involves the need for high-level of... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.