Washington, DC asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for District of Columbia

Q: How do I get assistance with upstairs neighbor that is dropping heavy items, slamming doors and walking back and forth?

Condo building/tenant is renting/ was not vetted by board /not able to sleep through the night because sleep is constantly interrupted.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: 1. Walk upstairs, introduce yourself, and then politely discuss the problem assuming they don’t know they are disturbing you;

2. Get a lawyer to review all your condo docs to find all possible violations, and lay out a game plan to get rid of him:

3. Get a sound meter and determine whether the sound violates DC law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.