Forest City, NC asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: My son is 4 yrs old. His Biological dad hasnt been in his life at all. Now COURT SYSTEM is trying to change this? HELP

Im now engaged & fiance wants to adopt my son. Hes the ONLY DAD my son has ever known and has been provider for him, (US) for almost 2 yrs. I filed for primary custody of son. The biological father NEVER replied to the papers sent by my lawyer. When we filed for a motion for me to be granted custody, the COURT SYSTEM took it upon themselves to have us take mediation for him 2 be in my sons life. I feel like all this is going to do is hurt my son emotionally, psychological, & could cause stress in his life that me & my fiance has made sure he would never have to worry about. What is my rights to reject this mediation & keep this from happening?? Shes not allowing my lawyer nor fiance to attend the mediation. Ive talked to my lawyer about all of this, & i trust in his answers & all, but I need to know what i can gather within 12 hrs before mediation to help explain why i feel that bringing him into my sons life is NOT the best interest for my son. That it will cause more harm than help??

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The Court didn't 'take it upon themselves' - its standard procedure. As much as you may believe having biological dad out of you child's life is best and regardless of whether you are right or wrong - you basically do not get to make that call. Since you have a lawyer that you indicated you trusted, your legal options are basically to continue to trust your lawyer and trust in the process. More often than not, when a parent say things like "bringing him into my sons life is NOT the best interest for my son. That it will cause more harm than help" - what they really mean is that it is not in MY best interest. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.