Swedesboro, NJ asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Will NJ courts take into account that I already pay support for my other children from different marriage?

My soon to be ex wants support and I want to pay but want 50/50 custody - will courts take into consideration that I already have order which I pay for child in college.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristofher Beralo
Kristofher Beralo
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Without knowing much about the facts of the case, I can tell you this: Yes, the court will take that into consideration. An attorney would be able to advise you on the child support guideline that the court uses to determine child support.

Note: Custody is a completely separate issue for the court to decide if the parties cannot come to an agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.