Buckingham, VA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Virginia

Q: How can I get visitation rights to my children, I had to sighn over custody to my mother and brother

My mother has custody of my 2kids and because of her age my brother also took custody, not shore how that works maby jointcustody, , but I visit my children and buy there school cloths and things they need, when needed. How ever I can't take my kids anywhere with me because my brother always says no. I am in a relationship with a black man and my brother is racist he does not want them around black people.... what can I do to be in my children's life and be the mother I didn't get to be before... I need help but don't have alot of money.....

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maciej B. Zebrak
Maciej B. Zebrak
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Mechanicsville, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: First you have to file a Motion to Amend Visitation with the Court that entered the final custody and visitation Order. In order to be able to amend a custody and visitation Order, you will need to prove that a material change in circumstances occurred that warrants a modification of visitation, and then, that it is in the children's best interests to have visitation with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.