Concord, NC asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: I was charged as a minor but convicted as an adult. Is there anyway, besides expungement, to get those charges removed?

When I was 16 I got into a lot of trouble. The court system waited until I was an adult to fully convict me of a misdemeanor marijuana possession (1/2 > 1 & 1/2 oz) and now it's causing damage to my adult life. Is there any way to put these charges onto my juvenile record so that they will no longer show on my adult record? Are there any steps I can take to sue for damages caused because of the courts neglect and oversight on this manner? I've looked into expungement which can cost in excess of $4,000 and cannot afford to take such route because my criminal background practically prohibits me from gaining any type of meaningful employment (I've been told many times that, even though I'm honest about these charges, I don't qualify for those positions). These charges have ruined my adult life and I need to know if there's anything I can do (cost-effectively) that can make them go away. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Dewar
Kristen Dewar
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: There is no other way in NC to remove charges from your criminal record other than expungement. $4000 is a lot for an expungement of this type. I would keep calling around for quotes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.