Washington, DC asked in Contracts, Copyright, International Law and Trademark for District of Columbia

Q: I am an American citizen and want to trademark and artist's name in Canada - can I do that?

I would like to do it as an intent to use, seeing as right now there's no music to release. That being said, it would be great to start using the name as soon as possible and register it as the name for a registered songwriter/artist in Canada. Is it possible to trademark the same name in the United States as well - if the artist plans to sell music and perform in the united states as well?

1 Lawyer Answer
Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX

A: Yes, a US citizen can register a trademark in both the United States and Canada. There are international treaties that allow US trademark owners to extend their trademark rights to other countries and vice versa. You should speak with a trademark attorney on how to register your mark.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.