Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
District of Columbia International Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Gov & Administrative Law and International Law for District of Columbia on
Q: What can be done in order to regain control of my money?

I have stock dividends, interest payments on bonds and other funds in special non-resident bank accounts, known as Type C, now frozen due to Russian counter-sanctions against Western investors and bankers. What can be done in order to regain control of my money and return part of it to the USA?

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
answered on Mar 2, 2023

I’ve been asked a number of times about getting investment money out of Russia without violating US and EU sanctions and avoiding Russian monetary limitations enacted in response to the sanctions. Indeed, the topic appeared in a recent article in Bloomberg, but, handled correctly, this topic has... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Immigration Law, Civil Rights and International Law for District of Columbia on
Q: I’m getting married with an Au Pair that finishes contract before. How much time do we have for her not become ilegal?

I am marrying an AuPair. She was supposed to finish her program next May but she wants to quit due to bad relationship with the host family. Because she quits she technically has to leave the country “as soon as possible” but we are not sure how long that is. We want to get married as soon as... Read more »

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
answered on Sep 24, 2022

Is your girlfriend’s J visa subject to the two year residency requirement? If not, she may be able to adjust status after marriage. Discuss the facts of your situation with counsel in a private phone call.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for District of Columbia on
Q: Is there national imagination lawyer's guild, and why not publicly advertise to people around the world how 2

People who wish to become American citizens should be given a step by step imagination process with potential immigration lawyers - I think world advertising is in order - avoid the breaking of the law label as illegal as in illegally being here at their own free will - as an illegal?

Matthew T. Famiglietti
Matthew T. Famiglietti
answered on Jan 29, 2022

The American Immigration Lawyer’s (AILA.)

is an organization of Attorneys who specializes in aiding individuals who have immigration problems including Naturalization, becoming an American citizen, as well as other immigration issues.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright, International Law and Trademark for District of Columbia on
Q: I am an American citizen and want to trademark and artist's name in Canada - can I do that?

I would like to do it as an intent to use, seeing as right now there's no music to release. That being said, it would be great to start using the name as soon as possible and register it as the name for a registered songwriter/artist in Canada. Is it possible to trademark the same name in the... Read more »

Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III
answered on Nov 7, 2017

Yes, a US citizen can register a trademark in both the United States and Canada. There are international treaties that allow US trademark owners to extend their trademark rights to other countries and vice versa. You should speak with a trademark attorney on how to register your mark.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.