Pharr, TX asked in Bankruptcy and Traffic Tickets for Texas

Q: I have a charge against me w/ Dept of Public Safety. I was in a minor accident w/o ins. for $40,000. Can it Discharge?

I just received a suspension of drivers license notice from DPS. I can't believe I was in a minor accident during the one week my insurance had lapsed. Unbelievable. Now I need help to get my license back. I don't see any other way to get out from under this. Please advise.

I also have about $20,000 more debt from school loans ($3000 for me and the rest for my daughter's loan that I co-signed for) and about $10,000 in credit card debt. I have no income at this time besides my husbands fixed income. (disabled veteran) I am starting a new business but no income yet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. J. Thomas Black
Mr. J. Thomas Black
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, so long as you were not DWI at the time of the accident, the damages from the auto accident should be dischargeable in bankruptcy. In that case, you would be eligible to apply to have your drivers license reinstated, but you must maintain liability insurance in the future.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.