Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Bankruptcy Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Real Estate Law for Texas on
Q: An abstract judgement was issued against me in 2007. It was not renewed. What do I do now?

After judgement was issued I never heard from the creditor again. It was my local bank and I live in Texas.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Aug 24, 2021

It may still be valid. You should check the statute of limitations on judgments in the state where it was issued.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Texas on
Q: If I gave money to a friend who said he can flip it, 6000-10k and he did but I didn’t know how he did it? Illegal or no?
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Apr 25, 2021

It’s not illegal unless you know it is illegal and participate in it anyway.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: I received a summons to appear in court because I am being sued due to failure to pay a debt.

I found out this was from years ago, and am I believe my ex wife opened the credit card and I was unaware of it. I gave an answer to the court and am now awaiting whatever comes next, not sure if I need to secure an attorney for an anticipated court date. ANy guidance and advice would be... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Apr 5, 2021

Hire an attorney snd let them defend it for you. If it is tears old, there may be many defenses available to you of which you are unaware.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: My wife was served with a Civil Citation and I must submit a Civil Answer by COB tomorrow. I have questions on the form.

We have decided to file for bankruptcy and have tax issues that figure into the equation.

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Mar 18, 2021

If you've already filed bankruptcy, you can just file a suggestion of bankruptcy to let the court know that it can't take any action on the civil case. If you haven't filed bankruptcy yet, you'll need to file an answer, and let the court know about the bankruptcy when it's filed.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Estate Planning and Collections for Texas on
Q: In Texas, If my Dad and I have a Life Estate Deed together and he gets sued, can a lien be placed on the house?

Want to sell house later without any liens being placed ,he is currently living in house.

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Feb 9, 2021

If the house is homestead, the lien won't attach.

When you say you two have a "life estate deed together" I don't know what that means. A life estate is only the right to use the house during your lifetime. Presumably one of you has a life estate and the other has...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: Will a transfer of property to my children 8 months prior to filing Chapter 7 be a problem?

I owned an undivided 1/2 interest in my ex-husband's property from our divorce 15 years ago. I gifted it to my children 8 months ago so that it wouldn't have to go through probate at my death. Will this be a problem if I file for Chapter 7? I received no money and own no other property.

Michael Francis Barrett
Michael Francis Barrett answered on Feb 4, 2021

That is likely to be a problem as it will probably be considered a "fraudulent transfer". Speak to a local bankruptcy attorney for possible solutions, as there may still be a way for you to file that doesn't cause a problem for you or your children.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Construction Law for Texas on
Q: if a vendor for construction material is suing me, and I filed chapter 13 and I closed my buisness. will it take care of
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jan 23, 2021

Yes, if it was included as a creditor in your 13.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: I am filing a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Texas. Do I have to list my husband's VA Benefits in my income calculation?

The only income my husband and I have is social security income and his VA disability payments. We were married in 2019. Before our marriage, I accumulated much credit card debt. I am now retired, and unable to pay the credit cards. I know that his disability payments are excluded from the... Read more »

Sean T. Flynn
Sean T. Flynn answered on Jan 22, 2021

Hello there. You are correct that you do not need to input VA disability and Social Security on the means test, but you do need to disclose the income on your schedule I as part of your income. You would also need to disclose it on the Statement of Financial Affairs as well.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Employment Law and Tax Law for Texas on
Q: My employee deducted my court ordered bankruptcy payments from my checks, but didn't send the money to the trustee.

My W2 shows a $5000 difference from what was deducted vs what the trustee received. My bankruptcy lawyer has been no help & now my bankruptcy case is being dismissed. Is there anything I can do about this since my money was mishandled by my employer? What/if any law would the employer be... Read more »

Mr. Chad Van Horn
Mr. Chad Van Horn answered on Jan 21, 2021

Tons of laws! Basically, this would be the equivalent of civil theft. I would first alert the trustee and they may take care of it. If not, I would file a motion to compel in the bankruptcy court to have the money turned over.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: Do I need a lawyer for this
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr. answered on Jan 9, 2021

For what? Lol

If you meant to ask whether you need a lawyer to file a bankruptcy case for you, the answer is No, you can file pro se, BUT,

If you represent yourself, well, there's an old saying that a lawyer who represents himself has a damn fool for a client.

If you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Immigration Law for Texas on
Q: With a conditional green card in the US, would filing for bankruptcy overseas affect my ability to remove GC conditions?

Would it also affect my ability to work in the finance industry?

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Dec 30, 2020

That's a loaded question best discussed in the office. Some additional questions will include, "How did you obtain your conditional greencard? (e.g. investment based or family based?) What sort of bankruptcy is it? (personal or business based). There is a form I-944 that has to be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Family Law and Child Support for Texas on
Q: How do I get the federal court to investigate a bankruptcy case that was disregarded by debtor.

Child support judgement was reduced to half 27000 and was included in my bankruptcy filing and was paid off in 2006. Then the Child support office refiled for the original amount and tacked interest onto the original amount. The CS office refuses to acknowledge the bankruptcy agreement and more... Read more »

Kathy Elizabeth Roux
Kathy Elizabeth Roux answered on Dec 19, 2020

Child support payments generally cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. This means that a parent who owes child support cannot escape this duty by filing for bankruptcy. Bankruptcies do not act as a stay, or hold, on actions to modify child support obligations. Since you state that the child support... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: Been in bankruptcy since 2018. Since covid I am to the point of being worse then broke. How do I talk to get out of now

Bankruptcy since 2018, never missed a payment. Been doing it successfully, but since covid and working directly with covid patients I cannot get extra work since I'm constantly exposed. So I have not been able to get extra work. Now I cant pay my insurance, pay my utilities or my gas to keep... Read more »

Sean T. Flynn
Sean T. Flynn answered on Dec 15, 2020

If you have been in bankruptcy since 2018 it sounds like you filed under Chapter 13. A chapter 13 bankruptcy can typically be voluntarily dismissed at any time. Although before you dismiss you might explore seeing if you can modify your plan and possibly lower the payment. Under the CARES act, you... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Collections for Texas on
Q: Debt reported to Credit Agency: Lack of communication between Hospital and Debt-collection Agency (DCA)

Here is the Timeline:

April - I received a bill from the Hospital. June – Hospital agreed to place my payment on hold under their Pandemic-time policy.

June/July - Received two letters from a DCA. I called DCA to inform that my account was under hold. October - The hospital... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Dec 3, 2020

Yes. It may also be a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Contracts and Foreclosure for Texas on
Q: What to do if a Judge is making me part of a case and I am not listed as party where it shows active and inactive party

I had a case in the court, but the person litigated in another court, and was awarded his request. I filed an appeal. Then had a TI schedule, in the TI one attorney post fraud. I filed for bankruptcy, the Judge in the BK ruptcy court heard the case and overturned the lower court finding. As it was... Read more »

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Nov 23, 2020

Sorry, this is a complex fact situation which appears to involve at least 3 different matters. No helpful comments can be made without reviewing the status of the underlying cases. If there is currently a Motion for Summary Judgment filed against you in the Counterclaim, you need to make sure... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: I filed chapter 13 pro-se and had 341 meeting. Trustee said I filed wrong plan and should find an Atty.

I do nt want to have to sell my Truck I have 14,000 more to pay and have 14,000 already paid. All other debt appx 12,000 is unsecured and I have been "disabled" and getting SSDI since July 2020. Disability began July 2019. I have a disabled child as well and she gets SSI. Although I... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Oct 12, 2020

You really really really need to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer who can go over everything in detail. Let me give you an idea of the exceptions available to Texans:

A car for every licensed drive in the household or anyone dependent on transportation.

You truck note will note will not...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: I filedfor bankruptcy in January 2017. I was in an accident while living in Texas.Mycar was insured and I was paying on

On the car in the bankruptcy payment. My car was totaled. The trustee collected the check from the insurance and my relative is financing the car for me since I had to have a car. Was the trustee supposed to get this check. Trustee ‘s office will not answer calls and have not for months.

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Sep 1, 2020

Without reviewing your files, it is hard to give you a direct answer, but there is no excuse for no return of calls.

You should contact the U. S. Trustee in Dallas. Check out this website

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: Ch 13/60 months.During plan rec’d bonuses. Do I have to go the full 60m or will it stop once I hit the base plan value
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Aug 24, 2020

If you pay it off early, it terminates early.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: My business got a PPP loan in early May, then in July I had to file Ch 7 Bankruptcy. Can the trustee take the PPP funds?

In addition she wants all the cash in my personal Acct from the Stimulus check. Is this government funding exempt?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Aug 15, 2020

It should be exempt. Most trustees are not pursuing this government aid.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Texas on
Q: I live in dallad, but got a bankruptcy lawyer through the internet to represent me, hes in California. Is that bad

I already paid him 400.00 and still owe him 1300.00 is he allowed to do my bankruptcy

Stuart Nachbar
Stuart Nachbar answered on Jul 21, 2020

He can file your Petition in the proper bankruptcy court if he is licensed in same.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.