Lincoln, RI asked in Adoption and Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: How do u terminate parental rights to allow for step parent adoption without the other party being involved

My ex has not seen my daughter in 8 years my fiance wants to adopt her once were married. My daughter has no desire to see or speak to her father and I have sole custody with all decision making as well as a restraining order all done thru Florida. We now live in Rhode island and I have no idea where her bio dad is.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: It is critically important for you to get the location of the biological father so he can be given notice of your intention to adopt the child. Meet with an attorney fluent in adoption and retain them to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.