Q: got a warrant from a county over 200 miles away.

im 19 and im afraid it has to deal with a girl i had online problems with a while ago. I have not contacted her physically in anyway except for online. I believe I was speaking nonsense and that might have got me in trouble. I do not have time to go to davis. Can i call as listed on their card? To find out what it is about without being questioned? I am in college and I have no money for a lawyer. I am scared shitless. I do not wanna go to jail.

2 Lawyer Answers

William John Light

  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Call a criminal defense attorney and get a free consultation. That will tell you what you are looking at in terms of the risk of being arrested, the potential penalties and the potential cost of an attorney. Attorney's differ in the fees they charge, so maybe call more than one, and start with someone in Davis.

William Mihrtad Paparian

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Pasadena, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should be able to onto the court's website and retrieve basic information about the case but you will eventually have to make a court appearance if the case has been filed as a felony. If it's filled as a Misdemeanor a lawyer can make the initial appearance on your behalf.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.