Vancouver, WA asked in Juvenile Law for Washington

Q: My 14 yr old son was charged with 4th degree assault and arrested what will happen to him

My son got into a altercation at school where he was pushing another kid because the kid was bullying his friend. they ended up wrestling around and my son allegedly punched him in the face..they have a video of it but they cant say 100% that his fist hit the kids he's charged with 4th degree assault and they arrested him.. what will happen to him this is his first offense

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Melissa Azure
Jennifer Melissa Azure
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Kennewick, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Your son should qualify for a diversion agreement if he has no prior criminal history and no prior diversions. This would be completed instead of an actual court action against him. He may be required to attend a class, meet with a diversion board or some type of remedial service. The benefit of a diversion is that it is even more of a rehabilitation system than juvenile court and there are no findings of guilt. I am not familiar with your jurisdiction in Vancouver specifically, but based upon the information provided, this would be a mandatory diversion. The State may also amend the charge to a lesser charge such as disorderly conduct, which may be appropriate - if not outright dismissed. I would recommend contacting a juvenile attorney in your area to sit down and discuss the process. Best of luck to you and your family.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.