Chula Vista, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for California

Q: My ex-husband decided to move to Riverside county 1 1/2 hours away from my home in San Diego County, which is not in the

best interests of our children. Am I required to pick up my children there or could a meeting place be arranged? The court order states the receiving parent picks up the children on holidays... Can this custody issue be revisited in court?? Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Torri
Joseph Torri
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It’s possible to revisit custody, but consult with a family lawyer before doing anything. Generally moves like this should be evaluated carefully. If he took the kids with him on a primary basis, you should probably act quickly. If you have primary custody, the judge will probably state that the receiving parent picks up even if Dad is in Riverside. I have seen judges order the receiving parent pick up on alternate weekends when one parent lives in Arizona. Both parents can agree on a meeting place, but that may not happen if there’s no agreement. Definitely consult with a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.