Bronx, NY asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Municipal Law and Collections for Puerto Rico

Q: About 2 years ago I won a civil case in Puerto Rico. But I havent received all money. What can i do now?

About 2 years ago I won A civil suit in Puerto Rico against my niece(who happens to be a police officer) who had stolen money from my account. I live in New York. She was ordered to pay me back sum of $27,000. She paid me only $10,000 and has not bothered to pay the rest. My lawyer said that I could not do anything about it. I spent thousands flying back an forth to Puerto Rico I can not do that again. What can I do to get the rest of my money?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You can docket the judgment from Puerto Rico in New York. You need to get a certified copy from the court there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.