Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Municipal Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Puerto Rico Municipal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Municipal Law and Probate for Puerto Rico on
Q: We have several problems here involving renouncing inheritance, segregation, and property tax status.

How do you renounce inheritance in Puerto Rico and find out property tax status (have the taxes been paid)? Also, if we renounce inheritance, can we shift the property to a relative who lives there? We live in the United States.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 19, 2023

To renounce an inheritance in Puerto Rico, you must formally declare your intention to do so within a specific timeframe, usually within nine months of the decedent's death. This declaration is made before a notary in Puerto Rico. It's a definitive decision, meaning once you renounce, you... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Municipal Law and Collections for Puerto Rico on
Q: About 2 years ago I won a civil case in Puerto Rico. But I havent received all money. What can i do now?

About 2 years ago I won A civil suit in Puerto Rico against my niece(who happens to be a police officer) who had stolen money from my account. I live in New York. She was ordered to pay me back sum of $27,000. She paid me only $10,000 and has not bothered to pay the rest. My lawyer said that I... View More

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
answered on Nov 28, 2017

You can docket the judgment from Puerto Rico in New York. You need to get a certified copy from the court there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.