Bakersfield, CA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California

Q: my kids mom is trying to take my kids to Texas we both share custody of my two kids can she??

she just served me with some paper work and we're going to mediation on the 28 I don't want her to take off with my kids what can I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Stephanie E. Emanuel
Stephanie E. Emanuel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bronx, NY

A: First of all, do you have a lawyer? If not I suggest you retain one very fast. Because if she and her attorney are able to convince the court that they should take the child to Texas than you won't be able to do much. Reach out to a local attorney to discuss your case and get legal options.

Joseph Torri agrees with this answer

Joseph Torri
Joseph Torri
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: She made a move away/relocation request with the court. These are some of the most challenging cases in family Court due to the consequences of the court’s order. I’m confident her attorney knows the rules, etc. You should hire an attorney for this case since you may not know the details for the analysis. If she is allowed to move, you may have to pay a high amount of child support since your custody will be minimal. Consult with a family lawyer right away, and file paperwork with the court quickly since you don’t want it being untimely.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.