Orlando, FL asked in Family Law, Juvenile Law and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: Can parents legally kick out an 18yo still in high school in North Carolina?

My friend is 18 years old and lives in the state of North Carolina. He is currently a senior in high school. His parents are potentially going to kick him out. I understand that once an individual turns 18 they are a legal adult, but can his parents legally kick him out before he graduates? I've gotten mixed answers on this, I think it depends on the state.

If he hasn't graduated, aren't they still responsible as he is technically still a "minor"?

I don't know if this matters, but he is also adopted.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: At 18 there is no 'technically' about it - he's a legal adult, not a minor and being adopted is irrelevant. If the person is 18, the parents can tell him to leave whether he is still in school or not. They should not use self help (force to physically throw the 18 year old out). If he won't leave he is then likely trespassing and law enforcement can be called to remove him from the property. Of course, law enforcement may say this is a civil matter and you may have to do a formal eviction. There is a circumstance where a parent who is paying child support would likely have to continue to pay child support to a custodial parent if the child is 18 and still in school but this has nothing to do with being able to kick out an 18 year old whether they are in school or not. So bottom line in NC 18 = parents can kick you to the curb.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.