Orlando, FL asked in Education Law and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: How can an 18yo transfer high schools without parental consent?

A student in North Carolina has been kicked out of his house at the age of 18. If he stays he's basically homeless. However, he has the option to go down to Florida where he can find help and a place of residency. His parents will not condone this. How can he transfer from the school he is in (NC) to a Florida school without parental involvement?

I am asking this because apparently, according to numerous sources, a student cannot transfer schools without parental involvement.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: He is 18, and an adult and has been kicked out - why would he care what his parents condone? They don't get to kick him out and then still control what he does.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.