Phoenix, AZ asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Idaho

Q: Should we be able to get our money back?

My wife and I went to our gym in 2016 told them we wanted to cancel, the desk worker confirmed we were cancelled and would no longer be charged. A year later we have discovered that we are still being charged. I called the billing company and they say that per our contract we have to write a letter asking to cancel to actually cancel. Why were we misled by the employee at the gym. Had he just said to write the letter I would have done it a year ago. We have lived 1000 miles away for a year. Should we be able to get our money back since the employee told us we were no longer going to be charged?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hales
Michael Hales
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Rexburg, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: While I feel that you have a valid complaint, the issue will be proving that you gave the verbal cancellation. Is there anything evidence from that day?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.