Asked in Estate Planning for Arizona

Q: My husband died 3 years ago and his father just died last month. Am I entitled to his 1/3 of his father's estate?

There was no will and his father lived in Arizona. We also have 3 adult children and 1 minor child. Does this change anything? Are our sons still his grandchildren and receive their dad's portion of the estate? I was my husband next of kin.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marcus N. Seiter
Marcus N. Seiter
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Tempe, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: When someone dies without a will, they are said to die "intestate." When this happens Arizona's laws of intestacy dictate who will inherit that person's estate. Based on the limited information provided here, in the case of your former father-in-law, unless you bear some other relationship to him besides his former daughter-in-law, you would not be entitled to any portion of his estate. You may want to visit briefly with an attorney directly to confirm all of this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.