Laurinburg, NC asked in Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: My son was 18 at the time and in high school having sex with a young lady that was 26 or 27 is that Romeo and Juliet law

I want to know if I could press charges against her. Because this young lady allowing this under age boy to drink beer and smoke weed at her home then she became pregnant by him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Saad
Steven Saad
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: As far as the sexual conduct, the age of consent in NC is 16. You could obviously get the police involved if you can substantiate that she has been providing alcohol to your son. The marijuana is still illegal at any age, and you could also get the authorities involved for that possible crime. Consider other alternatives though; your son will most likely find himself charged too if you go this route.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.