Clayton, NC asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: Im 14 years old and i want to go live with my gf family ? will i go to jail if i leave and go stay with them?

but leave them a note explaining to them the reason why im leaving and if i plan to return

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: A note - that's cute. I especially like the 'if I plan to return' part - as if you have some sort of say in the matter, You likely won't go to jail but you can be forced to go back home where you belong. You are a child. Respect your parents, do what you are told and don't give them a hard time.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.