Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: What are all my options in getting my 16 year to return home in NC.

I have custody his father has every other weekend visitation. My child left with his father and now he refuses to bring him back. I know where my son is but he is not in his fathers care and I have been told if I go to the house where he is I will be arrested for trespassing. Since his father took him I dont know if he would be consider as a runaway.and I dont want to break any laws or file any false reports so I know I could endorce my court order but that takes time to get back to court so is there any other legal options that I can do. He is not safe where he is as he has no adult supervision and is driving without a license and staying out all hours of the night my son has severe asthma and is not getting his meds.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Are you kidding me? Go to local law enforcement with proof you have custody and have them escort you to go get you child. Now! Like right now - as soon as you are done reading this

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.