Seattle, WA asked in Personal Injury for Washington

Q: The insurance Company for the driver that hit me offered a 100,00 Settlement, I want More, Should I get a lawyer?

The accident caused a traumatic brain injury, i was hospitalized for a month then for 2 weeks again a couple of months later. I was crossing the street when the driver stoped the car, there was a problem with his break so even though he stoped, it still hit me. I also still take physical therapy for my then fracture leg that still hurts. All the bills were paid for. There’s no reason for me not to take it, but I feel if you’re going to damage my brain and ruin my life, I should at least have enough money to live comfortably. It happened in lake Stevens WA. Also I was 17 years old. It was a year ago.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
David Alan Wolf
David Alan Wolf

A: You should at least consult with an attorney to make sure that you are making the right decision on your case. Do not agree to a settlement until you consult with an attorney. Most attorneys will provide you with a Free Consultation.

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • Port Orchard, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Sorry to hear you are dealing with that. When you are talking about a case of that magnitude, you certainly should talk to a lawyer. Most personal injury offices, mine included, offer a free consultation. You can at least have someone look at the facts of your case and the documents you have received, and see if they can help you to do better financially.

It could be that is the best you are going to do, but generally insurance companies don't compensate you as best as is possible just out of the kindness of their hearts. Commonly, you have to get a lawyer involved to get your maximum compensation.

Even if there is no more money available, a personal injury attorney might assist by negotiating down your payback costs so that ultimately more money goes to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.