Columbus, OH asked in Contracts, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Had a sublet for 2 weeks now but never moved into the room. Later occupied by another girl can I get my money back?

I had a sublet with girl 1 to take over her portion of the lease. The leasing company told us to have an informal lease agreement basically stating that I would be taking over. I got the keys and everything and gave her $505 for the rent for the month. A day goes by and my room is occupied with another girls belongings. I told her the room is mine and she needs to move her things. Two weeks have gone by and her items are still in the room and I can't move anything in. I paid rent for the month and my question is is there anything I can do that will make her move or anyway that I can get my money back since I'm basically paying for someone else to live in the room. The leasing company told us that it's a domestic dispute and that there is nothing they can do. The police have told us that there is nothing they can do either.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can sue in small claims court to try to get your money back. But even if the court gives you a judgment, then you have to try to collect it, which is another visit to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.