Hyattsville, MD asked in Small Claims, Collections and Probate for Maryland

Q: See

Seeking a lawyer who does claims from a deceased friend account..who borrowed from me before passing.

How do i handle this nightmare.?

I am in md.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The law sets strict time frames for asserting a claim against a deceased person. Creditors may file a claim in the Estate of a decedent although this is generally limited to the first 6 months after death. The Register of Wills has claim forms available for filing with a modest filing fee per claim. If the claim is rejected or suit needs to be filed to establish entitlement to money, it may be advisable to use the services of a lawyer. You may wish to start by contacting the Lawyer Referral Service for the county in which the case/claim would be filed.

While I hope this general information helps it is not an offer to represent or legal advice specific to a particular situation. The facts of a particular situation may affect how the law applies to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.