Rosemead, CA asked in Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for California

Q: CH 7 BK 11/2010. Did not reaffirm my mortgage. BK accounts off CR. Can lender still report foreclosure?

When BK was discharged. We did not stay in the home but let relatives stay in the home for upkeep of the property. I was Active Duty military and under SCRA protection, the bank never foreclosed on the property. Recently, I left Active Duty and the bank has moved forward with foreclosure. NOD expires 1/28/2018. I noticed all of the accounts associated with the BK are off my credit report. Can the lender still report a foreclosure or more specifically, the credit reporting agencies legally record it per FCRA? Any advantage to Short sale or DIL at this point? Tax implications?

1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should seriously consider a short sale but you have to move FAST. I have done 100's of short sales at no cost to the homeowner so I have a lot of experience in such matters. I am real estate broker and attorney with bankruptcy experience. As for DIL - they can be difficult in California and still have the same negative effects as a foreclosure. Technically your BK should make any debt forgiveness tax issues go away but you have to stay on top of the banks because they screw up all the time. Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.