Stuttgart, AR asked in Estate Planning for Arizona

Q: How do I find out if my father had a will? My adopted brother says that he is going through probate to get my father's $

My stepmother passed away about a year ago.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marcus N. Seiter
Marcus N. Seiter
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Tempe, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If your father made his will in Arizona prior to 1984, then itmight be deposited with the probate registrar in the county where he made that will. For most people however, the best way to find a deceased person's will is to look through the deceased's house, safe deposit box, and storage. If you cannot find a will, the next best way to search for one is to have an estate/probate attorney post a query on the State Bar of Arizona Probate and Trust Law Section listserv. if your father made a will in another state, you may want to contact an estate/probate attorney in that other state to help you.

This next part does not answer your specific question, but it may help your situation. If there is no will and your adopted brother opens probate, you may still be entitled to your share as one of the deceased's offspring. I recommend you contact a probate attorney to help you protect your interest in your father's estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.