Bear, DE asked in Criminal Law, Banking and White Collar Crime for New Jersey

Q: How to respond to detective calling me about ex employer who I worked for under the table accusing me of check fraud?

Worked under the table for an elderly lady for three months. Rate of pay was a verbal agreement depending on the task and her mood . Sometimes she paid at end of day sometimes weekly . she paid two times with cash $50 and $40 and 3 times with a check each for $100. stopped working for her and then 3 months down the line a detective left a message on voicemail re: the lady Said checks were stolen and cashed when they were really given as pay for work done. I assume she reported them as stolen because she is bitter stopped working for her. What protection against these allegations are there? Have a log of all hours and days worked but every other agreement was verbal . What protection if it’s he said she said ?

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Your only protection is to hire a good lawyer. In a he said she said case the judge will determine who is more credible. If you have any past record or even look shady that could sway the judge to go against you and find that you were guilty. Do not talk to the police until you speak with a lawyer and most lawyers I am sure will tell you not to speak to the detective but to refer his question to them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.