Pittsburgh, PA asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: Would it be legal for her to move in if she is emancipated? Also what would it take for her to get emancipated?

My girlfriend and I want to move in together in my parents house, (she's almost 15, and I am 15) She is a foster child, She lives in North Carolina, and i live in Pennsylvania, her dad sort of wants her out, and we're thinking if we upset him he'll kick her out, but she wants to try to get emancipated at 16, would it be legal for her to move in if she is emancipated? Also what would it take for her to get emancipated?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes, if she is emancipated but it is difficult to get emancipated. She would need to prove she can provide for herself financially and more importantly, has the common sense to take care of herself and make appropriate decisions. Neither of which is qualities of most 25 year olds let alone a 15 year old.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.