Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for North Carolina

Q: In a domestic violence case the judge orders the defendant to not have contact with the victim and is sentenced, but

Then the defendant and victim get married can this no contact order be amended by the judge?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bill Powers
Bill Powers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: GREAT QUESTION, more information would be helpful.

Domestic Violence cases in North Carolina can be a bit complicated. That's because there are aspects of such cases that touch more than one branch of the judicial system.

For example, it's not unusual to see Criminal charges such as Assault, Assault on Female, Communicating Threats, and Interference with 911 Communications that relate to Domestic Violence allegations.

If someone is convicted of those types of cases, as part of a Suspended Sentence and/or Probation, the Court may Order there be no contact by the Defendant.

A violation of such a term, or any other term of the Judgment, like a requirement to get an alcohol assessment, anger management treatment, or community service, could result in activation of the suspended jail sentence.

For more info on Criminal sentencing in North Carolina, see:

At the same time, Domestic Violence cases can also involve a Civil Proceeding referred to as 50B.

That term, "50B" comes from the North Carolina General Statute relating to Domestic Violence, see:

Violating an Order pursuant to an 50B Domestic Violence Restraining Order can be, in-and-of-itself, a Criminal offense. It too can be a bit complicated.

So, because of the complexity, it makes sense to take a look at the respective legal filings in the case, the Order(s), and then determine the most appropriate manner in which to proceed. Sometimes the smart thing to do is wait for the natural expiration of the Order and comply with all the requirements until that term expires.

There are times the Court could Order or otherwise allow changes to the protective Order. It can be a delicate process.

Many criminal defense attorneys will provide a FREE, confidential consultation on such matters.

Again, great question. Best advice: Talk to an experienced attorney ASAP.

Bill Powers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.