Lansing, MI asked in Civil Rights and Probate for Michigan

Q: how can I prove a house isn't being rented out while it is still in probate court.

my mother passed away almost a year ago and she left the house to me. I'm now currently living inside the house that she left me. The city wants me to prove that the house is not being rented out so they don't charge me more for property taxs. This is my down fall come into place and I need help asap. They told me I have to have the person that the houses name is in go sign some papers at the city hall. well house is currently in my moms name still and wont be in my name until it has successfully been sent thru probate court. How can I prove that the house is not being rented out while its still in the process of going through probate court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: There is no quick solution here. You will need to open a probate estate as soon as you can. Until that happens, and concludes, you are renting the house from your mother's estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.