Olympia, WA asked in Education Law for Washington

Q: My sons school has not followed the bulling policy by legislation. What are the next steps?

School has not made any reports when my son and I have complained about bullying, they said they would move the other students but have not done so, and another school did not follow the IEP the year before.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan Ford
Ryan Ford
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Regarding the bullying issue you could file a formal Harassment, Intimidation Bullying (HIB) complaint with the District.

Depending on the nature of the bullying and the District's failures you may have a viable negligence or Section 504 lawsuit against the District.

If the District failure to follow your son's IEP resulted in a denial of FAPE, you could file a due process complaint against the District.

I would need more facts to provide additional analysis for either issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.